Saturday, March 18, 2006

The Great British Pastime

So, on my way home from work I pass a council tip, I myself have been to this tip once when I first moved in with A and I made him get rid of loads of broken junk he had been collecting like the womble he is.

As I made my way back home today I passed the afore mentioned tip and saw what must have been thirty cars all queuing to get into it! Now, I'm all for dumping things responsibly - but why do they all feel the need to go on a saturday afternoon?

Is it a big fun day out for all the family? Does one member of the household say "ooh I know what we can do today, let's go to the tip and dump that tv that hasn't worked since 1978!" amid cries of "YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY" from all around them?

It got me thinking though, we as a nation spend a lot of our lives firstly queuing and secondly going to dull places. The garden centre being one of them, or any number of DIY shops. I honestly can't think of anything more boring than going round a DIY shop looking at taps, bolts and various lengths of piping! Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that the weekends may be the only time that people do work on their homes or gardens, but surely there has to be more to life than painting the fence or digging up the lawn. There is isn't there?!

2 Comments:

Blogger NA said...

What's wrong with the Cat? I am looking at your blog title... =)

9:35 am  
Blogger G said...

"Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that the weekends may be the only time that people do work on their homes or gardens, but surely there has to be more to life than painting the fence or digging up the lawn. There is isn't there?!"

10:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home